Tuesday, November 11, 2014
After almost 3 years, I finally decided to get my act together and do this thing for real. With a dot com and all of that professional stuff. So I'm still here! But just at a new place: CORAL & CHARM .
Thanks for walking with me through the last few years. I'm so thankful to have this site to come back and read through sometimes. So, hope to see you there ;)
Posted by Camryn at 11:45 AM
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
|Today is my fifth post in a 31 days series about Fashion & Beauty 101.|
It's not a need, it's a want:
I love shopping. Obviously. But choosing a new top over groceries just can't happen everyday right? *Lol with me* Here is my struggle... I buy new clothes and wear them once. And all of the sudden they've lost their appeal because I mean "I've already posted an Insta in that dress so I clearly can't wear it again." ((Yes. This is my real, skewed, and way too materialistic mindset. Typing these thoughts makes me cringe). Here's the thing though, I know I'm not the only one! So I had to come up with a plan for myself, to keep myself from overspending on things I don't need, and to make myself realize that clothes do not = life.
MY RULE: I cannot buy any new item of clothing, unless I have already worn all of my most recent purchases at least twice.
You'd think this is a no brainer. But no. My roomies and I would often find ourselves heading out for a sale with tags still on the clothes in our drawers. That's craziness. SO, I follow the rule and save my money.
But how do you save when it IS time to shop?:
So glad you asked. I way prefer discussing this side of shopping. Although I'm not an expert on buying the dress for less or anything, I rarely spend more than $15 on a top. Jeans and shoes I'll splurge a little, but for me splurging is $29.99. So here are a few of my suggestions:
- Walk through your favorite high end store that you can't afford. Make note of the trends, certain items that you really love. Then, hop on over to the Target or Forever 21 and find similar items. I'll often come home with a J. Crew closet from Old Navy. (Also, use your Pinboard!)
- Run to the clearance rack first. When you see the sale prices it might keep you from spending more on something else in the store, and instead waiting for a better deal.
- Know what you're willing to spend before you walk in.
- Also, know what your'e willing to splurge on.
- Don't be afraid to shop online! Often the best deals are on the internet, but you run the risk of not trying it on first. Always check the return policies first.
Posted by Camryn at 6:06 PM
Monday, October 6, 2014
|Today is my fourth post in a 31 days series about Fashion & Beauty 101.|
"I literally have nothing to wear" - every girl, every day. I absolutely include myself in that category, but I've learned something about being a broke
college post grad girl... "I literally have no money" is way more detrimental (and way more realistic) than looking at my full closet and saying I have nothing to wear. SO, you make it work. And I actually think it's the very best thing for anyone beginning a FASHION 101 hack.
- Jeans. A great pair of skinnies that fit you in all the right places.
- LBD. Little black dress.
- Graphic T.
- Embellished tops.
- Flats/Sandals/Black pumps/Booties.
- Lightweight jacket. Army green is everything right now.
- Statement necklaces. (Yes, actually a staple these days).
Everyone has their own version of their "staple" pieces. Find out what yours are, or use mine as a guide if you need. But like I said yesterday, your closet is your foundation and everything you need to start is right there. A challenge that I want to try is the 30 outfits in 30 days, using a handful of key pieces. To remind myself that what I already have is good. And I can be creative in that, because new isn't always better.
Posted by Camryn at 7:59 PM
Friday, October 3, 2014
HOW DO I EVEN FIGURE OUT WHAT MY PERSONAL STYLE IS ANYWAY?
As someone who's always loved clothes and fashion, even I had to sit down one day and figure out how I would actually define my style. Especially in this new age of distinct groups: hipster, preppy, edgy, classic, etc etc. I mean where did I fit in? And here's the thing... I don't really! Not into only one category that is. Although I lean on the preppier side, I dress up like a "classic" and head into fall with a sprinkle of "hipster." I had to realize that it's OK to mix and dip my toes in various styles to create what really felt like me. And now that Pinterest exists, I feel like defining your style became that much easier. So here we go:
|Today is my third post in a 31 days series about Fashion & Beauty 101.|
- CREATE A FASHION PINBOARD. Anytime I'm on Pinterest I end up pinning a few outfit pins, just to keep myself updated. And the latest trends and new products are always first on Pinterest. A few of my favorite people to follow are:
- MAKE NOTE OF THEMES. As you can see above, I gravitate towards a lot of white ((probably too much lol)), as well as bold statement necklaces. In general I define my style as light, airy, and feminine. [Of course this is the remnants of a summer, so darker colors and more patterns will start filling my wardrobe as the weather cools down]. Knowing what you like will make shopping easier. And in scrolling through your board it will become clear what your personal style consists of. Also, take a look at your closet as it is now... what colors/patterns/brands make up your wardrobe? What does that indicate about your style?
- CHOOSE STYLE ICONS. I have a few girls that I admire, who I consistently check up on Instagram or Blogs to see what they've been wearing. Even a few close friends who I use as guides for outfit inspiration. Or just to snapchat for fashion advice ;)
- WRITE OUT YOUR DEFINITION. Sometimes having to think of words that describe yourself, or the type of clothes you like, makes you work through what it is that you want to accomplish through what you wear. I mentioned my style as being "light, airy, and feminine," and these are all words that I feel ((in some ways)) encapsulate my personality, and flow through in what I wear.
Tomorrow we're going BACK to your closet. It's the best place to start. Go back to go forward, amiright?
Posted by Camryn at 5:17 PM
Thursday, October 2, 2014
|Today is my second post in a 31 days series about Fashion & Beauty 101.|
Having "fashion sense" means:
- Knowing how to pair colors/patterns/materials that compliment one another.
- Understanding what looks good, & more importantly what looks good on your body type/skin color.
- Knowing what your style is, and how to pull it off.
- Keeping up with trends/new styles, and letting your style evolve with the times.
- Wearing clothes with confidence.
- Having a "key piece" that pulls the look together.
- Also understanding what doesn't work, and why.
And although this isn't the end all be all list, it's a place to start. It's FASHION SENSE 101, if you will.
Do you have all of those traits listed? If not, what do you need to do to get them? And can I help?!
Tomorrow we'll be walking through what it looks like to find what YOUR STYLE is *cue excitement squeals.*
Posted by Camryn at 12:30 PM
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
|Today is my first post in a 31 days series about Fashion & Beauty 101.|
Where do you start... when you don't know where to start?
Sometimes the world of fashion and beauty is totally daunting. I've unashamedly Googled, "How to have good style" at least once in my life and it wasn't that long ago I was making scrapbooks of Vanessa Hudgens displayed in my closet to attempt to outfit copy. (I know, I know... Vanessa Hudgens? Really? It was the height of High School Musical and in no way my fashion prime, so forgive me). But I'd like to hope I've learned some valuable things about clothes, personal style, make-up, and other beauty secrets since then. I have four sisters and a Mom who knows her way around the lipstick department, so it could be my genetics. But it's also something I love. Like, really love. There isn't a fashion magazine I haven't read or an Ulta I've missed, so I promise you these next days of fashion and beauty 101 are the best tips I know.
It doesn't have to be confusing, or intimidating, or out of your reach. And I believe it's something we can cherish; this whole fashion and beauty thing. Because we're made in the image of the Lord and it is a good thing that we see, appreciate, and create beautiful things.
The next few weeks I'll be writing daily *fingers crossed* about FASHION & BEAUTY 101. Tips, and tricks, and everything I wish someone had told me from the days I began shopping for myself over at the Target. My very first time linking up with the "31 Days of Writing" challenge and all the lovelies over there. Cheers to that!
SO. Let's start with something easy tomorrow. Like, what does it even mean to have "good style" anyways?
DAY 2: FASHION SENSE
DAY 3: DEFINE YOUR STYLE
DAY 4: START IN YOUR CLOSET
Posted by Camryn at 9:32 PM
Saturday, August 2, 2014
First of all, I know what you're thinking. It's Saturday. And actually it's only 30 minutes til' Sunday. So a Funny & Friday doesn't make sense. But here's what I say, who's counting? Or keeping score? Or anything? Exactly.
-Ok so I'm a little self-conscience in always calling this list "funny," because what if I'm the only one who thinks it's funny and then it's just super embarrassing... but since I literally can't think of any other word [that's appropriate] that starts with an F to go with my "Fab Friday" part, it's staying for now. So just giggle, or smile, or something. K thanks.
- I'm feeling a little over prepared for motherhood right now. Yes, that's what I said. And I'm not saying this to be the nanny that thinks she knows everything. I'm saying this because Scottie right now has been on a streak for the last month of having blowout diapers that send both of us to the bathtub. I know. It's like way too much. And I'm becoming way too comfortable with cleaning up all of that mess all the time from all things in the vicinity at the time the act happened. All the time.
- OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS. Today I was running out the door to check off some errands. [And by running out the door I mean I'd spent all day until 3pm inside... watching The Office, eating donuts, and drinking coffee. And just finally had the courage to get up and do something]. So I was down at my car, holding a bunch of things while digging through my purse. No keys. So I think to myself, my roomie's out of town and my other roomie is maybe at work or maybe with her bf or maybe not even coming back today. "Gee whiz" is what I didn't say btw. So I'm stuck. I ran back upstairs praying I'd forgotten to lock the door. Then I texted all parties. No response. So I did what any other person would do in this situation. I first, thought about calling the police to let me in. And then, I pulled out a bobbi pin from my purse and became a Bond Girl. Maybe 1 minute goes by... BAM. I'M IN. I LITERALLY BROKE INTO MY OWN APT WITH A BOBBI PIN. Let that sink in, K... of course now we'll all be dead bolting the crap out of that door because the ease of that was not comforting to any of us. But still. Letting that fan blow the wind in my hair for one more minute. Also, I called C to tell him and all he kept say was "Wow you're amazing" "That's so sexy" "I love you so much." So I mean, I just let him ;)
- I unlocked my apt door with a bobbi pin. *See above story.*
- Uncle Joes Donuts. YOU GUYS. These are amazefest. I can't even tell you. Homemade everyday. So good I die. They're hours are weird so I'm usually too early or too late to pick any up during the week. But not this morning. Half a dozen to last me the next few days. They got me out of bed this morning. [Before I came back to spend the rest of the day watching The Office; as originally stated].
- I was in Wal-Mart the other day, walking out of the store after just having checked out. I meet eyes with another cashier lady and smile. Well not really, it was more of a half smile. A polite smile. You would have thought I saved puppies for a living. She called out to me thanking me for the smile. That the whole place filled with joy because of it. She wished more people would smile like that. And I laughed. Because I hadn't even thought I'd really smiled. But I realized that, you know what, I need to smile more on purpose then. To strangers that is. Because what an un-purposeful smile did for her means a purposeful smile can do that much more. *Cheesefest over here.*
it's definitely sunday now.
Posted by Camryn at 9:08 PM